Earlier in the week we described what the DataStore Plus ActiveX was.
Today we walk you through the steps you need to take to add it to a FactoryTalk ViewStudio Machine Edition project.
Basic steps to setup the DataStore Plus ActiveX in ViewStudio:
- Create and configure a new “on top” display to host the DataStore Plus ActiveX
- Add and configure the DataStore Plus ActiveX to the new display
- Set the DataStore Plus display as the project's new initial graphic
- Configure the DataStore Plus display to load your original initial graphic display by:
- Creating an HMI Tag
- Assigning the HMI Tag to the Global Connection's “remote display number”
- Create and assign two macros
- Create first macro to trigger original initial graphic by setting the HMI Tag to the original initial display's number
- Create second macro to reset the HMI Tag to “0”
- Assign the first macro to the DataStore Plus “on top” display's startup macro setting
- Assign the second macro to the original initial display's startup macro setting
Now on to the detailed steps:
DataStore Plus Step 1:
The first step to using DataStore Plus is to create a new graphic display in your project to “host” this ActiveX. To do so, create a new graphic display with these display settings:
On the General Tab
- On Top
- Cannot be replaced
- Display Number 999
- Maximum Tag Update Rate of .25
- Specify Size of 400 width and 400 height
- X and Y position of -401 and -401 (off the visible screen)
Note: Below is a picture of my display settings:
Since we want the DataStore Plus ActiveX to run while the PVPlus project is running, we need to keep the display it's on open at all times. One way to accomplish this is to set the display as “always on top,” and “cannot be replaced.” However, we don't actually need to see this display, so we also position it out of the visible pixel range with a negative X Y position.
DataStore Plus Step 2:
Now that our graphic display is created, we need to add the DataStore Plus ActiveX to it. To do this, choose ActiveX from the Objects Menu:
Finally, on the Connections Tab you'll need to fill in the “File Location” (includes file name and CSV extension,) “Trigger” (this acts as an enable,) and add at least one real or string tag (my settings are shown below:)
NOTE: “FileLocation” can either be a String Tag which contains the full path and file name for your CSV file, OR it can be the actual full path and filename included within quotes as shown below:
DataStore Plus Step 3:
In this step you need to set your DataStore Plus display as the new initial display, after recording what the initial display is currently set to. This is done in “Startup”
Now that our DataStore Plus display is setup as the initial display, it will launch when the project runs. However, if we do nothing else we'll be left with a blank gray screen.
So our next step is to setup our DataStore Plus display to launch our original initial display. To do this, we first need to create a new HMI tag as shown below:
Now we need to create two macro's. One to change our “RemoteDisplayTag” to the number of our original initial graphic display (in my case “1”.) And another to reset it back to “0” so the operator can navigate to other displays.
Below is the first of the two macros we must create. This is the one our DataStore Plus screen will trigger after opening, to then trigger the opening of our original initial display.
Note: Changing the tag associated with the Global Connection for “remote display number” to “1” will cause the system to display the graphic display with that corresponding display number. However, the operator will not be able to navigate away from that screen until the “remote display number” is changed back to “0”
Note: Always be sure when implementing “remote display number” that all your displays have a unique “display number” in display settings.
First, on our DataStore Plus display we need to open the display settings. Then on the Behavior Tab we add our “Macro_GotoMainScreen” to the Macro Startup field as shown below. When done press OK, then save and close the display:
Next, we need to open our original initial display and on the Behavior Tab in the display settings we need to add “Macro_ResetRemoteDisplay” to the Macro Startup field as shown below. When done press OK, then save and close the display:
At this point we've successfully added the DataStore Plus ActiveX to our project. Once we run our project we can open Windows explorer to look for our next CSV datalog file. Just navigate Windows Explorer to the location specified in the DataStore Plus ActiveX's “FileLocation” property, and you should see the first CSV log file.
If you have any questions or comments please don't hesitate to let us know by either using the “post a comment or question” link below.
Sponsor and Advertise: Get your product or service in front of our 70K followers while also supporting independent automation journalism by sponsoring or advertising with us! Learn more in our Media Guide here, or contact us using this form or by calling our office at 413-749-4300.
- ControlLogix and Studio 5000 Update from Rockwell Automation (P114) - August 10, 2022
- Get Data From MicroLogix via Modbus and NET-AIC? - August 8, 2022
- Can You Manually Reset A PLC Timer? - August 5, 2022