When looking to upgrade older PanelView 550 or 600 models, it's common to consider the PanelView Plus 600 as a suitable replacement. For starters, most of the new PVPlus models will fit in the older PanelView cutouts. And, Panelbuilder32 programs import into View Studio mostly intact.
Note: For more information about migrating PanelView 550's, see this blog article HERE.
However, with the PanelView Plus 600 being phased out, and replaced with the PanelView Plus 6 600, we lose many of the legacy connectivity options. The new PanelView Plus 6, 600 and 400, with all there new bells and whistles, no longer support optional communications module.
When it comes to the SLC-5/03, it's common to find the PanelView 550 or 600 models connected it's channel 1, DH-485 port. To connect a new PanelView Plus 6 600 to the same DH-485 port would now require a 1761-NET-AIC, a PLC cable, a serial cable, and a 24vdc power source to power the AIC. All of this is just to convert the PVPlus 6's RS-232 port to RS-485.
To setup RSLinx for this configuration, here's what the steps you'll take:
1) First, open FactoryTalk View Studio, then your project, and then RSLinx Enterprise – Communications Setup
4) Choose Serial DF1 from the list
Note: I do not recommend using “Auto Configuration.” In my experience, the auto configuration will only run once, and if it doesn't find the PLC in that short period of time it shuts down.
6) On the Link tab, you need to make sure the baud rate, error checking, and other settings match your existing SLC-5/03's channel 0 port.
Note: To find out what your existing SLC-5/03 channel 0 setting are, open your .RSS program file in RSLogix 500, and then open the Channel Configuration for Channel 0.
7) Finally, click on your shortcut name (add a shortcut first if this is a new project,) click on your SLC-5/03 in the Target tab, and click Apply and OK.
I hope you've found this article about configuring your PanelView Plus to communicate with your SLC-500 via channel 0 and DF1 serial helpful. If you have any questions, comments, suggestions, or corrections please don't hesitate to leave them by using the “post a comment or question” link below.
Sponsor and Advertise: Get your product or service in front of our 70K followers while also supporting independent automation journalism by sponsoring or advertising with us! Learn more in our Media Guide here, or contact us using this form or by calling our office at 413-749-4300.
- Three Questions Answered: Studio 5000, PanelView 800, CompactLogix - August 19, 2022
- Smarter Machine Lighting and Indication - August 17, 2022
- Using the MicroLogix 1400's Real Time Clock - August 16, 2022