The Automation Blog’s Compact eGuide™ contains over 200 pages of how-to guides on configurating and programming CompactLogix products.
Base on the popular article and video series at TheAutomationBlog.com, the Compact eGuide™ condenses all of that know-how into a user friendly eBook.
The book starts with articles explaining what a Programmable Controller is, and how Rockwell Automation’s CompactLogix and ControlLogix products differ.
Next, CompactLogix fundamentals are shared along with details on which software is used to program them, how much that software costs, and what editions are available.
*** Looking for our CompactLogix course? Learn all the details here ***
From there the reader learns how to size a CompactLogix system using free software tools from Rockwell, followed by how to setup communications and connect to their controllers via USB, Ethernet, and Serial.
Once communications is covered, the book moves on to finding, downloading, and flashing firmware, after which the used is walked through how to create, download, and go online. The book also covers how to duplicate code, access the controller’s real time clock, test non-volatile memory, convert programs from legacy PLC-5, SLC-500, and MicroLogix, as well as how to find and download free sample code and PlantPAx AOIs.
The book also covers step-by-step how to message data with the CompactLogix using over Ethernet, Serial, and DH-485, and concludes with a summary of the last ten years of hardware and software releases, including summaries of the changes in RSLogix/Studio 5000 Logix Designer from version 20 all the way through version 35.
For more information, or if you have additional questions, please contact the author using the “Contact” link at TheAutomationBlog.com.
NOTE: This Content collection includes all of the articles listed below, all of which have been authored by Shawn Tierney. In a future edition we may include content we hired freelancers to write for our website, but at this time only the below articles are included:
- V001: Original release, May 22, 2023
This was the original release of Compact eGuide™.
Table Of Contents:
Section 1: Programmable Automation Controllers
– What is a Programmable Automation Controller: A-B PLCs vs PACs
– Small Allen-Bradley (A-B) Ethernet Programmable Controllers
Section 2: Getting started with ControlLogix
– The First Generation of CompactLogix Controllers
– The Second Generation of CompactLogix Controllers
– The L23 CompactLogix Controller
– The Third Generation of CompactLogix Controllers
– The Fourth Generation of CompactLogix Controllers
– Seven things you need to know about the 5370
– Seven more things you should know about the 5370
– RSLogix 5000 and Studio 5000 Logix Designer
– Studio 5000 Pricing, Packages, Features & Bundles
– How To Fix “.Net Framework 3.5 Is Not Installed”
– Fatal Application Error Encountered in Studio 5000 Logix Designer
– Estimating the Capacity of a ControlLogix System 1: Adv Comm Details
– How To Download Rockwell’s Integrated Architecture Builder (2022)
– Detailed Step-By-Step on How To Use New Ethernet/IP Capacity Tool
Section 3: Getting Connected and Flashing Firmware
– Plug and Play with Allen-Bradley Devices
– When Plug and Play doesn’t work
– Connecting to your CompactLogix via USB
– Setting up the Serial Driver in RSLinx Classic Part 1: Cables Needed
– Setting up the Serial Driver in RSLinx Classic Part 2: Driver Setup
– Setting a CompactLogix Controller’s Ethernet Address via USB
– Setting a CompactLogix Controller’s Ethernet Address via Serial
– Setting a CompactLogix Controller’s Ethernet Address via Boot-P
– How to “Ping” a PLC
– VMware Settings that work with RSLinx, ControlFlash, and BOOTP
– Find and Download Firmware for your CompactLogix system devices
– How to flash a CompactLogix firmware over USB
– How to flash a CompactLogix firmware over Ethernet
– Why Doesn’t ControlFlash Find My Firmware Files
– How to clear the memory of your ControlLogix Controller
– How to test the loading of Non-Volatile memory with CompactLogix
Section 4: Programming
– What version is my RSLogix/Studio 5000 ACD file?
– Studio 5000: How to connect to an existing Controller
– Duplicating Rungs in RSLogix and Studio 5000
– Duplicating Routines in RSLogix and Studio 5000
– Duplicating Programs in RSLogix and Studio 5000
– Thoughts on the Pros and Cons of using Alias Tags
– Why your ControlLogix Real Time Clock may be a few hours off
Section 5: I/O
– Are the inputs on the Allen-Bradley (A-B) 1769-L1xER high speed?
– Why Are My 5069-IF8 Analog Inputs Updating Slowly?
– Point I/O vs Flex I/O
– Large Point I/O rack communication issue
– Can multiple ControlLogix PLC’s control the same Ethernet I/O?
Section 6: Sample Code
– How to download free ControlLogix Sample Code, Programs and AOIs
– What are PlantPAx Process Objects?
– How to get Rockwell’s PlantPAx Library of Process Objects
Section 7: Messaging
– Messaging via Ethernet
– Messaging via DH-485
Section 8: Data Logging and HMI
– Datalogging to CSV File
– Get Logix data into MS Excel via RSLinx Classic
– Why can’t I access my AOI local tags from my HMI?
Section 9: Migration
– How To Convert SLC-500 & PLC-5 Programs to Logix 1 Migrator
– How To Convert SLC-500 & PLC-5 Programs to Logix 2 Save As
– Seven Things Studio 5000 Users Need To Know About CCW
Section 10: HMI Integration
Appendix A: Products Updates (Newest first)
– June 2022: ROKLive 2022 – the end of Technical Shows?
– November 2021: Automation Fair’s lack of new product details
– June 2020: What’s New with Logix, ROKLive 2020
– November 2018: What’s New in Logix, AF2018
– November 2017: What’s New from Automation Fair 2017
– November 2016: What’s New in Logix, AF 2016
– December 2015: Price Comparison: 1756-L8 vs 1756-L7
– July 2014: What’s new with Logix, as seen at RSTechED 2014
Appendix B: Software Updates (newest first, oldest last)
– V34: Studio 5000 Logix Designer 35: What’s New? (January 2023)
– V34: Studio 5000 Logix Designer 34: What’s New? (March 2022)
– V33: Studio 5000 Logix Designer 33: What’s New? (December 2020)
– V32: Studio 5000 Logix Designer 32: What’s New? (December 2018)
– V31: Studio 5000 Logix Designer 31: What’s New? (March 2018)
– V30: What’s New in Studio 5000 Logix Designer v30 (January 2017)
– V29: Studio 5000 Logix Designer Version 29 Released (August 2016)
– V28: Studio 5000 V28 Released, L83E Shipping (November 2015)
– V27: What’s New in Studio 5000 Logix Designer v27 (August 2015)
– V26: What’s New in Studio 5000 Logix Designer v26 (April 2015)
– V24: Studio 5000 Version 24 Released (November 2014)
– V24: Studio 5000 Logix Designer v24, as seen at RSTechED (July 2014)
– V22-V24: What you need to know about Studio 5000 v22, v23, & v24
– V21: Seven things you should know about Studio 5000 v21
– V20.04: RSLogix 5000 Version 20.04 Released! (August 2015)
– V20.03: What you need to know before upgrading to RSL5K v20.03
– Compact Basics Standard and Extended Edition Online Course
– The Automation Minute and Show Collection 1: 2013-2020
– Thank You!
Current Edition Notes:
Some existing articles included in this guide may show pictures or step-by-step procedures featuring the ControlLogix, but have only been included when the same procedures work with the CompactLogix as well.
Second Edition / v010 Plans: We hope to publish a completely updated edition of this eGuide as a new Compact Book of Knowledge™, however the timing of such an update will be dependent on how well this first edition sells. As with all all our digital products, existing customers who purchase this edition will be able to download any updates free of charge from the downloads section of the store here 🙂