So you need to know how to setup RSLinx Classic to communicate over DH-485 to an Allen-Bradley SLC-500 so you can download or go online with RSLogix?
Well you're in luck as in today's article I'll walk you step to setup through how to setup RSLinx as well as how to download from RSLogix:
Before you begin, first insure your SLC-500 has a DH-485 port (not all do.) Specifically, the SLC-5/03, SLC-5/02, 5/01, fixed SLC-500 all have an RJ-45 DH-485 Port.
Finally, assuming you have a modern laptop (no serial port) and modern OS (Windows 7 or later) you's need a USB to DH-485 cable (a USB to Serial converter will not work) like the Allen-Bradley 1747-UIC, or this much less expensive third party model which I found works with direct connections to the SLC, but not through AIC modules.
Step 1) Start by checking Windows Device Manager to determine what COM port number your PC assigned to your USB to DH-485 cable:
Step 2) Next launch RSLinx Classic, and then under the Communications menu select Configure Drivers:
Step 3) Then from the Available Driver Types drop down list select RS-232 DF1 Devices:
Step 4) Now click on “Add New”:
Step 5) Accept the default name by clicking on OK:
Step 6) Now select 1770-KF3/1747-KE from the Device drop down list:
Step 7) Now select the COM port you looked up earlier, and check to be sure you have plugged your SLC-500 into it:
Step 8) Next set Error Checking to CRC:
Step 9) Now click on OK to close the RS-232 DF1 Devices driver window:
Step 10) And click on Close to close the Configure Drivers window:
Step 11) Next, double click on your new driver in the RSWho window and after a few seconds you should see your SLC-500 appear under the driver as shown below:
Step 12) Now open RSLogix 500, and then open your program file:
Step 13) Next, from the Comms menu select System Comms:
Step 14) In the popup Communications window expand your AB_DF1-1, DH-485 driver and select your SLC-500:
Step 15) Then to download your program select the Download button:
Step 16) At this point if you made any changes to your program you may be prompted to save it.
Step 17) Now confirm you would like to download the current program you have open into the SLC-500 you are connected to:
NOTE: The SLC-500 PLC can only hold one program at a time, and downloading to it will erase the SLC-500's currently loaded program. If you do not have a copy of the current program loaded in your SLC-500 you should first perform an upload and save.
Step 19) And if the SLC-500 was in Run Mode you'll be asked if you would like to put it into program mode so the download can take place.
Step 20) Next, if the communications settings in your SLC-500 are different than the settings in the program you are downloading, you will receive a notice as to whether or not you want to change the SLC-500 to match the program you are downloading:
NOTE: If you change the settings of the port you are downloading to, after the download you likely will lose communications with the SLC-500. To regain comms you'll have to edit your driver in RSLinx to match the new settings.
Step 21) At the end of the download process, if you still have communications with the SLC-500 controller you will be given the option of putting the controller back into the run mode if it was in the run mode prior to downloading. And you'll also receive the option of going online:
NOTE: You can watch a video demonstration of this procedure below:
I hope today's article about how to setup RSLinx Classic to communicate to a SLC-500, and then how to download to the SLC-500 using RSLogix was helpful.
If you have any questions, comments, or suggestions, please feel free to post the by clicking on the “Click here to post a comment or question” link below.
Enjoy the benifits of membership! Insider news, rewards, & more: Patreon.com/automation
If you enjoyed my article, you may like my courses at TheAutomationSchool.com
Have a question on this topic? Click here to scroll down to the comment link
Have a news tip? Share it with us here
Latest posts by Shawn Tierney (see all)
- Automate In Style: Check Out Our New T-Shirts! - February 18, 2020
- PanelView Plus to ControlLogix, SLC-5/04, & PLC-5 over DH Plus (Early Access) - February 17, 2020
- PanelView Standard to CompactLogix or ControlLogix over DH Plus or DH-485 (Video, S33) - February 14, 2020
Click HERE to scroll down to view or leave comments
The Automation Blog's SLC-500 Library
- Article: The SLC-500: Six Controllers
- Article: The SLC-500: Controller Image Gallery
- Article: The Fixed Style SLC-500
- Podcast: Programmable Controller Non-Volatile and Volatile Memory
Cables and Adapters
- Article: USB to Data Highway Plus using the ANC-120e, a lower cost alternative to the...
- Article: How to add Ethernet to a SLC-500
- Podcast: Adding DH-485 to your MicroLogix, SLC-5/04, SLC-5/05, and PanelView Plus 6 400 and 600.
- Article: The SLC-500: Communicate and Download over Serial DF1 using RSLinx and RSLogix 500
- Video: A-B SLC-500 Serial Comm Setup & Download
- Article: The SLC-500: Communicate and Download over DH-485 using RSLinx and RSLogix 500
- Video: A-B SLC-500 DH-485 Comm Setup & Download
- Article: PLC-5 and SLC-500: Communicate and Download over Data Highway Plus using RSLinx and RSLogix
- Article: Why the Allen-Bradley (A-B) 1747-PIC always had trouble working in Microsoft Windows
- Article: What's new in RSLogix 500, Micro v11
- Article: RSLogix 5, 500, and Micro support for Windows XP / 7 / 8
- Article: RSLogix 500 and Micro Get Windows 8 Release
- Article: How to get a free copy of RSLogix Emulate 500
- Article: How to setup and use RS Emulate
- Article: How to Message (MSG) data from a MicroLogix 1400 to a SLC-5/05 over Ethernet
- Video: How to Message (MSG) data from a MicroLogix to a SLC-500 over Ethernet
- Article: How to Message (MSG) data from a SLC-5/05 to a MicroLogix 1400 over Ethernet
- Video: How to Message (MSG) data from a SLC-500 to a MicroLogix over Ethernet
- Article: Get A-B Programmable Controller data into Microsoft Excel using RSLinx
- Article: Connecting a PanelView Plus to a SLC-500 Channel 0 Serial Port
- Video: Flashback – FactoryTalk View Importing PLC-5 & SLC-500 Tags
- Article: How To Convert SLC-500 Programs to MicroLogix
- Video: Converting SLC-500 Programs to MicroLogix
- Article: Replace a Fixed SLC-500 (1747-Lxxx) with a MicroLogix
- Article: Converting your RSLogix 500 program to RSLogix 5000 using the Translate PLC-5 SLC 2.0...
- Article: Changes I would like to see made to Rockwell's Translate PLC-5 SLC 2.0 utility
- Article: Working around the Translate PLC-5 SLC 2.0 utility’s syntax error
- Article: Flashback Friday! RSLogix 500 "Providence Beer" Demo
- Article: Flashback Friday! RSLogix 500 Top Ten Sort
Learning and Discussion:
- Article: Is the SLC-500 still viable?
- Article: Insight's Inbox: I can't connect to my SLC-500
- Article: Flashback Friday! The SLC-500 Blue Demo Case
- Article: Getting Started With Programmable Controllers (PLC)