UPDATE 11/06/2017: Most of Rockwell's existing software product part numbers which end in “ENE” will no longer provide you with a “physical shipment” of software.
So to receive the DVD set as shown in this article, you need to replace the “ENE” in the part number with “ENM”
When you order Studio 5000 (formerly known as RSLogix 5000) you may not get what you were expecting.
While the software's part number hasn't changed, the contents of the package have. So in today's blog we'll review exactly what you now get when you order Studio 5000.
Studio 5000 Packaging
The first thing you'll notice is the software package doesn't have the familiar RSLogix 5000 logo. This one change has prompted concerned calls from clients who thought they've received the wrong software.
The fact is, when Rockwell released version 21 of the Logix programming software , they re-branded it from “RSLogix 5000” to “Studio 5000 – Logix Designer.” You'll also find this re-branding on Rockwell's websites, and in some places the re-branding has even extended to version prior to 21.
Inside the Studio 5000 Package
Inside the software package itself, the two most important items are the software installation DVD, and the red envelope. Unfortunately, today you only receive a single DVD with Logix version 21. This hasn't gone unnoticed by Rockwell customers, and it's our hope Rockwell will return to including the second “multi-version” DVD in the near future.
Update: Rockwell has begun including the previous versions DVD. For more information see this related blog post, RSLogix 5000 Previous Versions DVD Returns
The Red Envelope
This important looking envelope contains the software serial number and product key. You need these two pieces of information to activate your software, which is required for the software to run longer than the 7 day grace period.
If you happen to lose this information, Rockwell's Activation Support (no contract required) can email you a replacement PDF.
Finally, you also receive several pieces of supporting documentation in the software box. These include the following:
- Studio 5000 – Logix Designer version 21 release notes
- Instructions on activating your software
- Product notice for version 17 of the software (software not included)
- Support services information for your software
- Product issue & feedback form
- Drives software installation instructions (included on v21 DVD)
- Software piracy information
- Software registration form (if the information on the box is not correct, be sure to send this form in)
I hope the above information and snapshots of what comes in new packages of RSLogix 5000, aka Studio 5000, is helpful.
If you have any comments or questions please feel free to leave them below using the “post a comment or question” form.
Latest posts by Shawn Tierney (see all)
- CompactLogix Training Course Now On Sale, Just $99 - November 20, 2019
- Episodes Of The Automation Minute Now Available! - November 12, 2019
- Insider News: Prepping for Automation Fair - November 8, 2019
Click HERE to scroll down to view or leave comments