The Automation Blog’s Logix Book Of Knowledge™ contains over 200 pages of how-to guides on configurating and programming ControlLogix products.
Base on the popular article and video series at TheAutomationBlog.com, the Logix Book Of Knowledge™ condenses all of that know-how into a user friendly eBook.
The book starts with articles explaining what a Programmable Controller is, and how Rockwell Automation’s CompactLogix and ControlLogix products differ.
Next, ControlLogix fundamentals are shared along with details on which software is used to program them, how much that software costs, and what editions are available.
*** Looking for our ControlLogix course? Learn all the details here ***
From there the reader learns how to size a ControlLogix system using free software tools from Rockwell, followed by how to setup communications and connect to their controllers via USB, Ethernet, and Serial.
Once communications is covered, the book moves on to finding, downloading, and flashing firmware, after which the used is walked through how to create, download, and go online. The book also covers how to duplicate code, access the controller’s real time clock, test non-volatile memory, convert programs from legacy PLC-5, SLC-500, and MicroLogix, as well as how to find and download free sample code and PlantPAx AOIs.
The book also covers step-by-step how to message data with the ControlLogix using over Ethernet, DH+, and DH-485, and concludes with a summary of the last ten years of hardware and software releases, including summaries of the changes in RSLogix/Studio 5000 Logix Designer from version 20 all the way through version 34.
For more information, or if you have additional questions, please contact the author using the “Contact” link at TheAutomationBlog.com.
NOTE: This Content collection includes all of the articles listed below, all of which have been authored by Shawn Tierney. In a future edition we may include content we hired freelancers to write for our website, but at this time only the below articles are included:
- V002: First revision. Released October 17, 2022:
This edition includes many spelling and grammar corrections found while updating the Kindle Edition, as well as the removal of a duplicate article (Datalogging to CSV.)
- V001: Original release, October 6, 2022
This was the original release of Logix Book Of Knowledge™.
Table Of Contents:
Section 1: Programmable Automation Controllers
– What is a Programmable Automation Controller: A-B PLCs vs PACs
– Rockwell’s line of PACs: The “Logix” line of programmable controllers
Section 2: Getting started with ControlLogix
– Seven things you need to know before you start using ControlLogix
– RSLogix vs Studio 5000: Which do I need, and when?
– Which edition of Studio 5000 is right for you, and what does it cost?
– Selecting Components for a ControlLogix System
– Estimating the Capacity of a ControlLogix System 1: Adv Comm Details
– Estimating the Capacity of a ControlLogix System 2: EIP Capacity Wizard
– Detailed Step-By-Step on How To Use New Ethernet/IP Capacity Tool
Section 3: Getting Connected and Flashing Firmware
– Connecting to your ControlLogix via USB
– When Plug and Play doesn’t work
– Setting up the Serial Driver in RSLinx Classic Part 1: Cables Needed
– Setting up the Serial Driver in RSLinx Classic Part 2: Driver Setup
– Setting a Device’s (Controller, Adapter, etc.) Ethernet Address via USB
– Setting a ControlLogix Controller’s Ethernet Address via Serial
– Setting a Device’s (Controller, etc.) Ethernet Address via Boot-P
– Find and Download Firmware for your ControlLogix system devices
– How to flash a ControlLogix Controller’s firmware
– Why Doesn’t ControlFlash Find My Firmware Files
– How to clear the memory of your ControlLogix Controller
– How to test the loading of Non-Volatile memory with ControlLogix
Section 4: Programming
– What version is my RSLogix/Studio 5000 ACD file?
– Studio 5000: How to connect to an existing Controller
– Studio 5000: How to create and download a new project
– Duplicating Rungs in RSLogix and Studio 5000
– Duplicating Routines in RSLogix and Studio 5000
– Duplicating Programs in RSLogix and Studio 5000
– Thoughts on the Pros and Cons of using Alias Tags
Section 5: More Programming
– How do I access a ControlLogix Controller’s Clock
– Why your ControlLogix Real Time Clock may be a few hours off
Section 6: Migration
– How To Convert SLC-500 & PLC-5 Programs to ControlLogix 1 Migrator
– How To Convert SLC-500 & PLC-5 Programs to ControlLogix 2 Save As
– Five Questions To Ask Before Migrating To The ControlLogix L7x
Section 7: I/O
– ControlLogix support for adding I/O online
– Can multiple ControlLogix PLC’s control the same Ethernet I/O?
Section 8: Sample Code
– How to download free ControlLogix Sample Code, Programs and AOIs
– What are PlantPAx Process Objects?
– How to get Rockwell’s PlantPAx Library of Process Objects
– ControlLogix Datalogging to CSV File
– Get ControlLogix data into MS Excel via RSLinx Classic
Section 9: Messaging
– Messaging via Ethernet
– Messaging via DH+
– Messaging via DH-485
– Which ControlLogix Controllers Support Modbus?
Section 10: HMI Integration
– Why can’t I access my AOI local tags from my HMI?
Appendix A: Products Updates (Newest first)
– June 2022: ROKLive 2022 – the end of Technical Shows?
– November 2021: Automation Fair’s lack of new product details
– June 2020: What’s New with Logix, ROKLive 2020
– November 2018: What’s New in Logix, AF2018
– November 2017: What’s New from Automation Fair 2017
– November 2016: What’s New in Logix, AF 2016
– December 2015: Price Comparison: 1756-L8 vs 1756-L7
– November 2015: Rockwell Announces ControlLogix 5580 Controller
– July 2014: What’s new with Logix, as seen at RSTechED 2014
Appendix B: Software Updates (newest first, oldest last)
– V34: Studio 5000 Logix Designer 34: What’s New? (March 2022)
– V33: Studio 5000 Logix Designer 33: What’s New? (December 2020)
– V32: Studio 5000 Logix Designer 32: What’s New? (December 2018)
– V31: Studio 5000 Logix Designer 31: What’s New? (March 2018)
– V30: What’s New in Studio 5000 Logix Designer v30 (January 2017)
– V29: Studio 5000 Logix Designer Version 29 Released (August 2016)
– V28: Studio 5000 V28 Released, L83E Shipping (November 2015)
– V27: What’s New in Studio 5000 Logix Designer v27 (August 2015)
– V26: What’s New in Studio 5000 Logix Designer v26 (April 2015)
– V24: Studio 5000 Version 24 Released (November 2014)
– V24: Studio 5000 Logix Designer v24, as seen at RSTechED (July 2014)
– V22-V24: What you need to know about Studio 5000 v22, v23, & v24
– V21: Seven things you should know about Studio 5000 v21
– V20.04: RSLogix 5000 Version 20.04 Released! (August 2015)
– V20.03: What you need to know before upgrading to RSL5K v20.03
– PAC Basics Standard and Extended Edition Online Course
– The Automation Minute and Show Collection 1: 2013-2020
– Thank You!
Current Edition Notes:
Some pictures do not link to the updated images, and some articles link to CompactLogix versions of those topics. This is due to the fact that the new images and articles found in this eBook have yet to be published at TheAutomationBlog.com
Second Edition / v010 Plans: The first major update will come after the planned video series is released, assuming the eBook sells well which is the best indicator of how much interest there is. As with all all our digital products, existing customers are able to download the latest version free of charge from the downloads section of the store here 🙂