In today's article I'll review my top five Studio 5000 announcements from the “What’s New in the Integrated Architecture System Software” TechED presentation.
Note: You can get your own copy of the full presentation by following the steps in my previous article here.
1) First up is that Studio 5000 now has tabbed windows, much like you find in modern browsers. These new tabs can be re-ordered, grouped, and even pulled out for viewing on a second monitor:
2) Next, Rockwell has moved to standard error indicators for all languages, and also supports filtering of messages in the error window:
3) Function Blocks got a welcomed visual overhaul which added the ability to force tags, enter operand values, and change sheet sizes while online:
4) Structured Text also got some welcomed new features like the addition of line numbers and bookmarks, multi-line select and mouse scrolling, smart indenting, collapsible code segments, and in-line value monitoring:
5) Finally, a powerful new alarming feature was added to Studio 5000 version 31. Known as “Logix Tag-Based Alarms,” this new feature allows alarms to be added to nearly any tag, has a very small memory footprint and does not require adding alarm instructions or code, and automatically integrates into a FactoryTalk Alarm and Events system.
To watch a video discussion of the above, check out Episode 46 of The Automation Podcast below:
Well, those are my picks. If you'd like to share your own picks, you can do so by clicking on the “post a comment or question” link below.
And if you'd like to get a copy of this or any of the other Rockwell Automation TechED 2018 presentations, you can do so by following the steps in my previous article here.
- MDT AutoSave: Automatic Backup, Compare, Archive (P81) - October 21, 2021
- Top Ten Podcast Episodes - October 18, 2021
- Siemens S7-1500 Advanced PLCs Overview (P80) - October 15, 2021