Late last week Rockwell Automation released version 8.1 of FactoryTalk View Machine Edition.
The recommended computer specs for running ViewME 8.1 include: Intel Pentium 4 2GHZ, 2GB of RAM, and 2GB of Hard disk space.
ViewME 8.1 also supports these operating systems: Windows XP SP3 32Bit, Windows 7 Pro 32 & 64bit, Windows 8 & 8.1 32 and 64 bit, and Windows Server 2012.
New features in ViewME 8.1
Added support for testing displays with tag placeholders
- You can now test your displays and global objects with parameters (like #1, #2, etc) in View Studio without having to run the project.
New FactoryTalk View File Viewer
- You can use the new File Viewer to view and save ME and SE datalog files, as well as view Machine Edition Alarm and Recipe Plus files.
Better design-time support for multiple monitors
- If you close View Studio 8.1 after using it on a multi-monitor system, and later restart it on a single monitor system, it will now re-dock the Explorer and Diagnostic windows, and move all other windows to the primary display.
- Prior to this change I've been told you could not access windows positioned on the second monitor when you returned to a single monitor system.
Additional 8.1 features
- Support for MobileView terminals
- Domain LDAP authentication optimizations
Cautions about migrating to ViewME 8.1
While the release notes do contain several things you'll want to be aware of, the big one for me pertains to ViewPoint.
So if you currently use ViewPoint, for the cleanest and easiest transition I suggest holding off until ViewPoint itself is updated to 8.1.
And even then, I recommend reading the ViewPoint 8.1 release notes prior to upgrading.
Find out more about ViewME 8.1
If you would like to view the FactoryTalk View Machine Edition release notes, well unfortunately right now they don't seem to be online anyware 🙁 Unlike Studio 5000, I couldn't find the FTView release notes in the PCDC, and the last update I could find on the RA KB is for 6.1 (as of 9/2.) So unless you actually download 8.1, your only option may be to drop your local Rockwell rep an email to request them.
Update: Shortly after this article was published, Rockwell posted the FactoryView ME and SE release notes from version 5.0 – 8.1 in the below public (free) tech note:
Special thanks to Sharon Billi for letting us know!
So, what do you think of the new features in ViewME 8.1?
Will you hold off because you're a ViewPoint user?
Or will you jump on 8.1 right away because of one of the added features?
You can share your thoughts and opinions by submitting the “post a comment or question” link below.
Editor's note: If you work in the industrial automation field and would like to share your experiences with our audience, please contact us using this form: Contact Us. If we publish your article we'll send you a $30 Amazon gift card (or equivalent via PayPal) in appreciation for your efforts!
- P+F USi-Safety Rated Ultrasonic Sensor (P87) - January 19, 2022
- IFM CR1203 HMI Controller: Initial Setup & Adding Ethernet IO in CODESYS - January 6, 2022
- Happy New Year! - January 1, 2022